- Criminal proceedings can be initiated against Peter Marti. He is the former special counsel in the federal cryptography case.
- The Department of Justice and Police (DFJP) has given the green light to this because it cannot be excluded that the criminal offenses with which Marti is accused are fulfilled.
- The background is an advertisement by former Berset spokesman Peter Lauener.
On Tuesday, the general secretary of the DFJP authorized the civil service to carry out criminal proceedings against Marti. The FDJP said the clearance was not an indication of guilt or innocence.
In January 2021, Marti was appointed by the federal prosecutor’s office as an extraordinary attorney general to investigate a possible breach of official secrecy in connection with the crypto case. In September, it became known that a criminal complaint had been filed against Marti.
Prompt action by the special advocate in brief
According to the newspapers Tamedia and the “Blick”, the announcement should come from Peter Lauener, the former head of communication for the interior department. According to reports, he is expected to accuse Marti of abuse of power. Lauener was at the center of Marti’s investigation into an information leak in the crypto case.
The crypto affair was exposed in February 2020. At the time, media reported that the US secret service CIA and the German federal intelligence service BND were spying on more than a hundred countries using encryption devices handled by the Zug-based company Crypto AG.
The Crypto Case Briefly Explained
- Over a hundred countries have been spied on by the CIA and BND for decades.
- Hundreds of thousands of secret messages between government departments, authorities, embassies or military offices have been systematically intercepted.
- How was it possible? The more than 100 governments have purchased encryption devices from the former Zug-based company Crypto AG.
- These encryption devices have been manipulated in such a way that the two secret services can eavesdrop on everything.
- Because: Recently leaked secret service files show that Crypto AG was bought by the CIA and BND in 1970 – disguised via a foundation in Liechtenstein. This is shown by the research of the “Rundschau”, the ZDF and the “Washington Post”.
- With the help of intercepted and supposedly encrypted communication from several states, world politics was influenced, for example the Camp David negotiations in 1979.
- Based on this research, the Federal Council opened an investigation.
- The economic department has suspended the general export license for crypto devices.
Information from the draft inspection report, classified as confidential, was disclosed to individual media during the administrative consultation. After that, the National Council and Council of States business review commissions filed a criminal complaint.
Former Zurich chief judge Marti was commissioned by the supervisory authority of the Federal Prosecutor’s Office as an extraordinary federal prosecutor’s office to investigate the breach of official secrecy. He opened criminal charges against Lauener and two employees of the Department of Foreign Affairs (EDA). According to “SonntagsBlick”, Lauener had to be temporarily detained.